NOTICE TO ALL UTILTY OPERATORS ON DECLUTTERING, STANDARDS & PROCEDURES ON DEPLOYMENT OF UTILITY CABLES FOR TELCOS, TRANSCOS AND DISCOS IN LAGOS STATE.
Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA), in its recent inspections of Utility infrastructure cables in the state discovered several anomalies in the overhead and underground fiber optics and powers cables across the State. It was discovered that there are many disjointed Fiber Optic & power cables flying all over the air space of public right–of-way (ROW), as well as broken and disused poles, thereby constituting a risk to public health and safety, and devaluing not only the ROW but the urban value of the Lagos Metropolis. Many underground cables were unlabeled, manholes covers were missing and excess cables were left lying around causing an injury hazard. The resulting effect is that pedestrian walkways and set-backs are being rendered unusable by pedestrians. To address these anomalies, LASIMRA urges all fiber and electric/power operators who currently use the ROWs to note the following: PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE OF CONCERN:
- Aerial Fiber Cables and poles.
- Aerial Electric/Power Cables and poles.
- Underground Fiber Cables, Ducts and Manholes.
- Surface Fiber and Power Cables.
- FIBER CABLES AND POLES
- Quality pre-stressed poles of not less than 8m height & concrete density of 24KN/m3
- Spanning distance minimum of 30m & maximum of 40m, sequentially arranged
- Appropriately spaced six (6no) J-Hooks on either sides of the pole & well tensioned optic fiber cables
- All cables must be properly arranged and well terminated at junction boxes.
- Excess cables to be firmly strapped & attached to poles using proper attachment array
- All missing manhole covers to be replaced and cables labelled.
- ELECTRIC/POWER CABLES & POLES:
- All electric poles (concrete & wooden) must be tested for strength & structural integrity.
- All concrete & wooden poles should be to Pre-stress specification of not less than 8m for LT poles height, 10m, 12m, etc. for HT poles & minimum concrete density of 24KN/m3
- 30m to 40m span for LT Distribution lines, 50m to 60m for HT Transmission lines, sequentially arranged.
- All underground electric cables must be appropriately laid with all safety regulations strictly adhered to, with safety signs aboveto notify other public utility companies.
- Cable stringing must be done to engineering standard and in Nigerian cable specification.
- Provision of safety nets underneath power line installations around all public areas.
- All operators whose cables are in underground ducts and manholes were previously required to tag or label all their cables bearing the names of the operators, and stamp all manholes effective from 12thJuly 2021. All operators who have not done so must address these anomalies within 4 weeks of this notice, on or before [date 4 weeks after notice].
- All operators with fiber or electric/power cables are required to bring their cables and poles into compliance with the standards listed above within 4 weeks of this notice.
- All operators who have complied with these directives should regard this announcement for information purposes only.
Engr. Bisoye Coker-Odusote